Corona is multinacional corporation dedicated to manufacturing and distributing products and solutions for home improvement and construction that was founded in 1881 in Caldas, Antioquia, Colombia. The Echavarría family (Colombia) owns Corona and over the years the company has leveraged its core knowledge of non-metallic minerals to grow from a dishware manufacturing operation to a diversified multinational corporation with presence in more than 50 markets around the world, including the United States.
Corona has more than 15,000 employees and 29 manufacturing facilities across the United States, Mexico, Central America, Colombia and Brazil . The company consists of six business units that deliver home improvement and construction products and solutions to customers globally.
- Corona was founded in 1881 in Colombia under the name Cerámica Antioqueña, specializing in the manufacturing of ceramic and glass products. In 1935, Gabriel Echavarría Misas, the head of the Echavarría family, acquired the company.
- 1948-1960: Diversified its product portfolio to include ceramic tiles, porcelain sanitary ware and the extraction and distribution of non-metallic minerals in Colombia.
- 1961-1980: Inaugurated a factory dedicated to the production of sanitary ware products for consumers in the United States and continued to expand internationally.
- 1980s: Extended its ceramic tile business to different markets in the Americas.
- 1990s: Expanded its retail business with a network of large-format home improvement stores and partnered with Chile-based Sodimac to develop Homecenter and Constructor (Builder), leading home improvement and professional construction supply retail formats.
- 2004: Acquired Mansfield Plumbing Products, one of the largest producers of plumbing products in the United States. As a result of this expansion process Corona now has three factories in Mexico, three factories in Central America, three factories in the United States, one factory in Brazil (joint venture with Eternit), a strategic alliance with U.S.-based Lanco to produce and distribute paint and construction materials, and a global sourcing office in China.
- 2015: Announced plans to build a cement factory in Colombia in partnership with Spain-based Cementos Molins. With an initial investment of $370 million dollars, the new cement factory will have an annual production capacity of 1.35 million tons in its initial phase.
- 2016: Corona celebrates 135 years. The company has more than 15,000 employees, 29 manufacturing facilities across the United States, Mexico, Central America, Colombia and Brazil and six business units that deliver home improvement and construction products and solutions to customers in more than 50 markets around the world.
Notas y referencias[editar]
- Peckham, Roberto. «Corona: Born in Antioquia 135 Years Ago, Now a Multinational Giant» (en inglés británico). Consultado el 2017-01-18.
- BBDO, Corona & Sancho. «Organización Corona: Productos para remodelar y construir.». www.corona.co (en inglés). Consultado el 2017-01-18.
- http://www.lbresearch.com, Law Business Research Ltd,. «Cementos Molins and Corona sign factory JV - News - Latin Lawyer». Latin Lawyer (en inglés). Consultado el 2017-01-18.